So many of you have been asking for the recipe from the #HeartBreakfast Bake Off at the Table Bay Hotel. Thank you to executive pastry chef Bhupender Kumar for his assistance!
Rainbow cheese cake recipe
2 cups Digestive biscuits crushed
2 tabs sugar white
6tbs Butter melted
For Cheese cake
1.12kg cream cheese (at room temperature)
250g castor sugar
190g cream fresh
6 whole eggs
5 egg yolks
2 vanilla pods
20 ml vanilla essence
Food colouring -red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple
Sour cream 300g, icing sugar 50g
1. Preheat oven 300°F/ 150c before you get started with the crust; make sure your 9 inch springform pan is water tight. Do this by carefully wrapping a few layers of foil on the outside of the pan, so water cannot get into the pan. Be careful not to rip the foil or water will get into your cake and ruin it!
2. Mix crushed digestive biscuits, 2 tablespoons sugar together in a bowl. Then mix in melted butter with your clean fingers, until crumbs are pea sized.
3. Press all of the biscuit crumb mixture into the prepared springform pan. Press it down firmly in the pan. Use a measuring cup for this, which makes it easy to get around the edges. You should have an even, flat crust.
4. Bake the crust for 10 minutes on a low oven rack. Remove from the oven, and cool completely before continuing.
5. To make filling, mix cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Beat until smooth, maybe 4 minutes. Then add sugar, and continue to beat until smooth again, another 4-5 minutes. Next, add vanilla pod and essence and cream; beat until smooth. Add in 1 egg at a time, beating briefly between each egg.
6. Once the mixture is well combined and very smooth, divide evenly into 6 dishes. Add food colour to each dish to get the desired colours. (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple)
7. Pour colored mixtures into cooled crust. Start with red filling, and slowly pour it right in the center of the crust. Continue to build the rainbow by pouring the fillings directly in the center. This will create layers so that each slice has some of each colour.
8. Place cheesecake into a baking dish on oven rack, and fill baking dish with the water about 1 inch up the side of the springform pan.
9. Bake at 150c in the water bath for 1 hour and 40 minutes to 1 hour 50 minutes or until set but still jiggles slightly 2 inches from the edge.
10. Cool it down for half an hour. Meantime make the topping; combining sour cream and sugar together.
11. Once cooled, pour the sour cream mixture on top of the cake and bake at 180c for about 5- 7 minutes until the topping is set on top of the cake or it creates some bubbles. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
12. When ready to remove cake, run a clean narrow knife around the edge of the dish, remove the foil, unlock the spring, and carefully lift off the outer ring.